Operator Series - Robar NP3 Firearm Finish [Ship time: 2-3 days]
Product DescriptionThe Tuff-Writer pen was designed to be the toughest pen out there, period. It is built to withstand blistering cold, intense heat and any kind of harsh environment an operator is bound to encounter.
Originally developed by Robar as "the ultimate firearm finish" NP3 has proven at home on the world's best tactical pens. It provides a look and feel unlike any other.
The thixotropic ink in the hermetically sealed cartridge and pressurized to nearly 35 psi lasts three times longer than a standard ballpoint pen. With an estimated shelf life of 100 years, the pen writes at altitudes up to 12,500 feet where most other pens simply won't. Best of all, no matter how harsh the conditions your Tuff-Writer will work with operating temperatures from -30 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit (-35 to 120 degrees Celsius).
Designed with a sharp as well as rounded end, the NP3 pen can effectively be used as a take anywhere defensive implement or control device. The smoothly finished point also doubles as a PDA stylus device. The external knurling and slightly upward tipped spring steel clip allow an exceptionally low slip grip while not snagging during deployment or holstering. The NP3 finish, which is then baked for hardness, provides a stunning surface finish which is at home in any boardroom or gun vault. While like all other Tuff-Writers this pen is made in the U.S.A., the lack of external marking means that you'll be the only one who knows.
Unlike its brothers, the Frontline NP3 pen tends to hide in plain sight by drawing attention to itself. This is a pen designed to be carried daily, shown off at will and admired by everyone.... but it's still a Tuff-Writer.
There are no identifying marks, no logos and no engravings on this pen.
With its stunning good looks and slightly shorter length this pen will easily fit into virtually any shirt pocket, from Armani and Gucci to your off-the-shelf 5.11s.
What is NP3?
NP3 is a surface treatment for steel and metal alloys that combines sub-micron particles of PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), otherwise known as Teflon, with electroless nickel.
NP3 - THE PROCESS
The application of NP3 is auto-catalytic, that is, not requiring any form of electricity. This process is preferable to standard electrolytic plating as all active surfaces are evenly plated, which is not the case with any electrolytically deposited coating. With Robar's well-equipped laboratory, coating thickness can be maintained to within .0002" or two ten thousandths of one inch, guaranteeing consistent quality coatings. With the PTFE evenly distributed and locked into the nickel-phosphorus matrix, NP3 is a true composite. If wear occurs, fresh particles of PTFE are exposed to keep the opposing surfaces lubricated throughout the life of the coating.
NP3 - THE ADVANTAGES
- Very accurate and even coatings on all activated surfaces.
- No lubrication is needed on opposing surfaces.
- Cleaning is minimal, usually requiring only a soft cloth.
- Permits stabbing for longer periods of time between cleaning, as dirt and powder residue has no wet or oily surface to cling to.
- NP3 has a micro hardness of 48-51 Rockwell as plated (nickel matrix).
- NP3 is very corrosion resistant, a 1 mil (.001) coating exceeding a 240 hour salt spray test.
- NP3 has a high lubricity and low friction co-efficient; therefore, extending the life expectancy of the tool.
- The coating is strippable with no effect on the base metal.
- NP3 plated onto threads will prevent galling.
- NP3 is a satin gray, non-reflective color ideal for all firearms and defensive tools.
- NP3 can be plated to all internal parts and threading giving a smoothness to the action not found with any other coating.
- In cases where the NP3 has been perforated, the corrosion shows no tendency to spread or migrate under the coating.
- NP3 is guaranteed against corrosion, peeling or flaking for the lifetime of the tool.
Length: 6.00 inches
Thickness: 0.5 Inches
Weight: 1.6 oz.
Color: NP3 / Silver Chrome
Material: 6061-T6 Aerospace Grade Aluminum
Clip: Cold Pressed Spring Steel with silver nickle oxide finish
Finish: Robar NP3 Ultimate Firearm Finish
Fittings: Black oxide stainless steel bolts and chemical welding
Cartridge: Foray #877294 / Fisher #SPR4